July 12 – July 16, 2023
WHAT This is an opportunity to take one of two courses in Gregorian Chant:
- Laus In Ecclesia, level 1, taking the complete beginner or amateur in Gregorian chant to the level of being able to sing the chant with a certain competence;
- Laus in Ecclesia, level 2, building on the first degree, sharpening skills in reading notation and rhythm, with an emphasis on the singing of the Divine Office in Gregorian chant;
- Laus in Ecclesia, level 3, bringing all the previous levels to completion: this level is aimed primarily at directors of scholas, with a concentration on interpretation of bigger pieces and chironomy (direction).
For more information on the course, visit the Laus in Ecclesia website: lausinecclesia.com.
WHERE Classes will be held at the old Monastery at Clear Creek. Address: 5810 W St Marthas Ln, Hulbert, OK, 74441. Click here for the schedule and directions.
WHEN The classes will start at 1:15 pm on Wednesday, July 12, and continue throughout the days following until 12:30 pm Sunday, July 16. Click here for the schedule and directions.
- Bethany, the ladies’ guesthouse
- St Mary’s cabin
At Bethany, the meals are served: $50 per night for room and meals
At St. Mary’s the occupants must bring their own meals and cook for themselves: $40 per night
For men: the men’s guesthouse at the abbey. Meals are provided: $50 per night for room and meals.
Laus 1 or Laus 2 or Laus 3 Instruction: $200
Laus 1 manual: $45; or Laus 2 manual: $50; Laus 3 has no manual prepared: the instruction will be all oral.
- at Bethany: $50 per night, $200 for Wednesday night (7/12) thru Sunday night (7/16)
- at St. Mary’s: $40 per night, $160 for Wednesday night (7/12) thru Sunday night (7/16)
- at men’s guesthouse:$50 per night, $200 for Wednesday night (7/12) thru Sunday night (7/16)
Payment can be made in advance either by check (made out to Clear Creek Abbey. Address: 5804 Monastery Road, Hulbert, OK, 74441) or through the abbey website or during the session, by cash, check or credit card.
Those attending the session will be expected to provide their own paper (notebook) and writing instruments. A ruler would be handy; ruled paper also, especially for those who plan to work on the assignments provided in the Laus 1/2 manual. Fr. Bachmann will be happy to correct assignments completed during the session—according to the time he disposes of.
PREREQUISITES No previous musical or Gregorian training is necessary for level 1; however, the applicant should be able to sing and carry a tune.
For Level 2, completion of level 1 or equivalent is required; likewise, for level 3, completion or equivalent of level 2.
HOW MANY A maximum of 20 students will be accepted for each of the Laus 1 and Laus 2 and Laus 3 courses on the basis of first-come, first-serve.
Click on the link below to register for the courses: