Anyone looking for the traditional Catholic Bible in English should look no further!
In 1546, the Council of Trent declared the Latin Vulgate Bible as authentic, and declared that “No one (may) dare or presume under any pretext whatsoever to reject it” (4th Session, April 8, 1546). The Douay-Rheims Bible is an English translation of the Latin Vulgate Bible, a version universally used in the Church for over 1500 years, itself meticulously translated from the original Hebrew and Greek by St. Jerome (A.D. 340-420).
The Douay-Rheims was completed in 1609, and is therefore older than the King James Version, the oldest Protestant translation still in use, which was published in 1611. The Rheims New Testament was published nearly thirty years earlier, in 1582. Further, the translators of the KJV make specific reference to the Douay version in their translators’ preface. It is commonly acknowledged that, in preparing the KJV, the translators made use of the Rheims New Testament and adopted many of its readings in preference to those of other English editions.
Since it was translated quite literally and with great reverence for each individual word from the Vulgate, which in turn reflects the structure of the original languages very clearly, the Douay-Rheims Bible can give great insight into the minds of the sacred authors.
In 1749-1752, Bishop Challoner, knowing that many English Catholics were reading distorted Protestant versions of the Bible such as the King James Version (KJV), made major revisions to the Douay-Rheims version, to improve its readability without diminishing its accuracy. The notes, written by Bishop Challoner are entirely faithful to the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church. The revised Douay-Rheims Bible has been approved by the Church many times over, including the approbation of Cardinal Gibbons for the 1899 edition that Baronius Press is publishing.
For over 300 years, the Douay Rheims Bible was the only Catholic English translation of Scripture used. It continues to be used officially in Catholic churches today.
Leather bound cover with stitched edges
Gold gilt edged pages and 2 ribbons.
Completely retypeset to reproduce the original 1899 edition, making reading much easier.
Eleven coloured maps digitally redrawn by hand and fully coloured
32 beautiful engravings that recreate key moments in Biblical History
Family Register section
Included in this edition – Three Papal encyclicals regarding the importance of the Holy Bible.
PROVIDENTISSIMUS DEUS – Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII – On the Study of Holy Scripture
SPIRITUS PARACLITUS – Encyclical of Pope Benedict XV – On St. Jerome
DIVINO AFFLANTE SPIRITU – Encyclical of Pope Pius XII – On Promoting Biblical Studies, Commemorating the Fiftieth Anniversary of Providentissimus Deus
Building Something Beautiful For God –
To Last A Thousand Years
Our Lady of Clear Creek Abbey is a Benedictine community belonging to the Solesmes Congregation and, like other monasteries of the Solesmes Congregation, is to be counted among the institutes entirely ordered towards contemplation. It was founded in 1999 from the Abbey of Our Lady of Fontgombault in France and is located in the Diocese of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Clear Creek became an abbey in 2010 and counts 55 monks, who devote themselves to God alone in the hidden life, in silence and solitude, in constant prayer and willing penance.
After twenty years of existence, we are happy, by the grace of God, to have completed two large buildings and a sizable portion of our abbatial church. We completed the “Chapter House” in 2023 to accommodate the growing number of monks and provide a Sacristy, Infirmary, classrooms and the Chapter itself. Please help us continue this arduous, but important work for the glory of God.
Our Lady of Clear Creek Abbey
5804 W Monastery Road
Hulbert, OK 74441-5698
Phone (918) 772-2454