Commentary for Benedictine Oblates,
On the Rule of St. Benedict
by G. A. Simon, priest oblate of St. Wandrille Abbey. 1950 translation from the 2nd French edition,
by Leonard J. Doyle, oblate of St. John’s Abbey.
From the Forward to this book:
During the fourteen centuries that have elapsed since the death of St. Benedict, the Rule which he wrote… has continued to make the monks who followed it a living and a life-giving force in the Church and in Western civilization and has kept them near… to the spirit of the Gospels, of the Apostles and of the early Fathers… [Recently] the need was felt for translations and commentaries prepared especially for the Christian living in the world… Canon G. A. Simon’s commentary… comments on the Rule systematically … with practical applications for Christians in the world, especially those who have become affiliated with the Order of St. Benedict as Oblates… [His] work should prove singularly interesting and valuable to… those outside the Order of St. Benedict, even outside the Church, as an introduction to Benedictine spirituality; to lay Oblates who will learn to know their Order better through the commentaries on each day’s reading of the Rule, and to live the Benedictine life through the applications following each commentary; to priest Oblates… whom the author… has always in mind; to priest monks doing parish or missionary work away from the communal life of the monastery…; to directors of Oblates; even to monks and nuns living in community, who will find here… a compendium of the best commentaries on their Rule down through the ages.
– Dom Alcuin Deutsch, OSB, Abbot of St. John’s, 1947
Building Something Beautiful For God –
To Last A Thousand Years
Our Lady of Clear Creek Abbey is a Benedictine community belonging to the Solesmes Congregation and, like other monasteries of the Solesmes Congregation, is to be counted among the institutes entirely ordered towards contemplation. It was founded in 1999 from the Abbey of Our Lady of Fontgombault in France and is located in the Diocese of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Clear Creek became an abbey in 2010 and counts 55 monks, who devote themselves to God alone in the hidden life, in silence and solitude, in constant prayer and willing penance.
After twenty years of existence, we are happy, by the grace of God, to have completed two large buildings and a sizable portion of our abbatial church. We started building the “Chapter House” to accommodate the growing number of monks and provide a Sacristy, Infirmary, classrooms and the Chapter itself. Please help us continue this arduous, but important work for the glory of God.
Our Lady of Clear Creek Abbey
5804 W Monastery Road
Hulbert, OK 74441-5698
Phone (918) 772-2454